Dark shades of purple and blue have long been associated with luxury, sophistication and power, and the same can be said for their rich nutritional value.
When it comes to maintaining a balanced, whole foods diet, experts continue to stress the importance of diversifying our diets. When we consume different types of legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables and, of course, fruits, we're fuelling our bodies with a diverse range of vitamins and minerals. If you're looking to add some more variety to your plate this summer, it's worth looking into purple fruits and veggies.
5 REASONS TO EAT MORE PURPLE FOODS
- They help keep you young: Purple foods are rich in anthocyanins, free radical-fighting antioxidants that can help improve memory, remove toxins and assist with healthy ageing. Berries and dark chocolate are particularly rich sources. Foods such as figs and purple carrots are also revered for their ability to protect against macular degeneration and promote weight loss and fertility.
- They help you get your glow on: Monoterpenes-rich foods, such as cherries and lavender, promote blood circulation and reduce the effects of insomnia, anxiety, migraines and depression. Lavender essential oil, which contains the phytonutrient perillyl alcohol, has strong antifungal and antiseptic properties and can be used to treat skin ailments such as psoriasis, acne, wrinkles, cuts and burns.
- They reduce inflammation: Polyphenol-containing foods, such as black olives, plums and prunes, help fight inflammation, which is believed to be the root cause of chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and immune dysfunction.
- They reverse the effects of alcohol: Black rice (also known as wild or purple rice) – an antioxidant-rich grain that has a nutty flavour profile – has more anthocyanins per gram than blueberries and has been found to reverse the effects of alcohol on the liver.
- They’re good for your heart: Resveratrol is one of the main compounds in blue and purple plant foods, and has been shown to help stabilise blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. Resveratrol also helps to relax the arterial walls, which decreases the pressure in the arteries and promotes better circulation.
15 OF OUR FAVOURITE PURPLE FRUITS & VEGGIES
- Purple cabbage
- Purple potato
- Purple cauliflower
- Purple asparagus