- Heat a pot over a medium heat then add the carrots and celery, stir. You don’t need to cook them in oil, just use a splash of water if they start to stick. Turn the heat to very low, then add the garlic and stir. Cover with a lid and cook until very soft, about 20–25 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and stir. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Puree the sauce mixture in a blender until smooth, then pour back into the pot. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add it to the sauce. Add 500ml of water, stir through, and heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt and stir through.
- Serve on wholemeal toast with fresh baby spinach. I also like a few strips of baked tempeh on top, but you can add any of your breakfast favourites.
TIP: Navy beans are sometimes called white beans, but you can also use cannellini beans if you want. If using dried beans, soak them overnight, then drain and rinse. Cook the beans before starting this recipe. If using tinned, you’ll need about six tins.