The hidden veggies in this bolognese make it a family-friendly dinner that is both healthy and hearty.
- ½ tsp canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots
- 9 white mushrooms
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 150g tomato purée or passata
- 125g gluten-free pasta - I used red lentil penne
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh basil
- Cashew parmesan
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions until soft, then drain the pasta. Set it aside.
- In a large pan, add the canola oil and bring it to a high heat. Add the chopped red onion and minced garlic cloves and let them cook until the onions are soft.
- Wash the carrots and mushrooms. Add them to a food processor and pulse them until fine. Add the mushroom-carrot mixture to the pan. Let it cook until softened and browned. Add the salt, dried oregano and dried basil.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomato passata. At this point, you can add more salt, oregano and basil to taste.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Place it into bowls and top with cashew parmesan, fresh oregano and basil.
Recipe by: Bianca Haun from Elephantastic Vegan