Carrot and Daikon Pickles
- Combine all ingredients for carrot and daikon pickles into a bowl and set aside. When ready to assemble buns, remove pickles from liquid.
- Excluding Fable, oil, and syrup, combine all other ingredients for the sweet and sticky filling in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add Fable. Fry using a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes until Fable starts to brown, gently pressing down and breaking Fable into smaller parts.
- Add the bao filling sauce mixture to the pan with Fable, stirring to coat evenly. Cook for 3 minutes and then stir the syrup through the mixture and continue until sauce thickens and caramelises, another 3–5 minutes.
- Heat bao buns as per packet instructions.
- Once warmed, assemble bao by first adding the sweet and sticky Fable filling and then the carrot and daikon pickles. To serve, garnish with spring onion, coriander, fresh chilli, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
TIP: You’ll find vegan-friendly oyster sauce made from mushrooms in most Asian supermarkets and health food stores.