Chargrilled vegetable salad with couscous, spiced coconut yoghurt and almonds
Add a layer of smokiness to your vegetables with this chargrilled salad.
- 3 red capsicums
- 50 ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tbsp salt
- 500 g couscous
- 1 ½ tbsp nut butter
- 150 g slivered almonds
- 2 eggplants, thickly sliced
- 4 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, thickly sliced
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Spiced yoghurt dressing
- 250 g (1 cup) coconut yoghurt
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 handful coriander leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the capsicums on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until the skin begins to blister.
- Remove from the oven and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool. Once cold, peel the skins from the peppers and slice the flesh.
- In a saucepan, combine the olive oil and salt with 500 ml (2 cups) of water and bring to the boil.
- Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling water over, cover with plastic wrap and leave to sit for 10 minutes to absorb. Once cool, use a fork to separate the couscous.
- Place the nut butter in a shallow frying pan over low heat. When melted, add the almonds and cook until golden.
- This happens quite quickly so make sure you keep your eye on the ball while tossing the almonds around. Drain on paper towel.
- Combine the eggplant, zucchini and fennel in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and mix to coat.
- Heat an oiled chargrill pan or heavy-based frying pan to very hot over high heat.
- Grill the vegetables on both sides until well coloured. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, combine the onion and asparagus in a bowl with a drizzle of oil. Grill until well coloured.
- To serve, combine the vegetables with the couscous and parsley in a bowl.
- Season well, add half the yoghurt dressing and combine carefully.
- Spread onto a serving plate, sprinkle with the almonds and drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil and the remaining dressing.