Kick-start the new year with these top tips for healthy eating.
- Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible, most of the time.
- Enjoy everything you eat.
- Eat a variety of foods.
- Enjoy meal time: the social side of food and meals, the rich tapestry of traditions, cultures and family.
- Learn to cook: take pride and interest in what you buy, cook, serve and eat.
- Forget about the numbers; maths does not belong in either your bathroom or in your kitchen (aside from perhaps tallying up numbers of fruit and veg per day if this is an area you are working on, and it probably should be seeing as less than 20 per cent of us meet minimum recommendations for fruit and vegetable intake.)
- Do learn to read: most of the healthiest foods come without packaging or labels. But for those that do, read the ingredients carefully and look for a small number of familiar real foods.